Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Darkside of Humanity

I open my computer everyday to Yahoo and 50% of the time, I am greeted by a headline or a picture on some war or some other atrocity happening somewhere in the world.  Is this what we are really about?

I am an optimist by nature and I sincerely desire to believe that people are caring and loving beings.  But I am constantly assailed by images and evidences of the opposite. 

Whenever I contemplate this dichotomy in our nature I am reminded by the imagery in William Blake's short poem, "A Divine Image." Humanity has flourished in this planet for generations, but we have not changed.  Are cruelty and violence locked into our DNAs that we will always live in the brink of self-destruction for eternity?  I certainly hope not.  

"A DIVINE IMAGE" By William Blake

Cruelty has a human heart
And jealousy a human face
Terror the human form divine,
And secrecy the human dress.

The human dress is forged iron,
The human form a fiery forge,
The human face a furnace seal'd,
The Human heart its hungry gorge.